In attempt to actually keep up with my goals this year, I’m recapping my progress each month. This month can be best summed as: I NEED TO RUN MORE.
1. LOG EVERY WORKOUT. Yep! So far so good! The past couple weeks have been great for me in terms of workouts, and I’m excited for my Ironman March plan to keep me on track!
2. Run 1,000 miles. YIKES. This is not going well. Especially since I have a marathon in a little more than a month… but I haven’t blown it yet! I’m confident 2015 is the year I finally hit this!
3. Race a 13 hour Ironman (13:59:59 counts). I’m pretty psyched about how strong I’m going to be after training for Dirty Kanza. After 200 miles of gravel, I’m planning to CRUSH 112 miles on the road.
4. Try my hardest at Dirty Kanza and not go down without a fight. So far, so good. I think this weekend will also be my first ride outside in a long time. And DK Training Camp is at the end of this month! (And that exclamation is of terror, not excitement…) (Okay, maybe a LITTLE excitement). I’m also pumped because my VanderKitten team kit should be here SO SOON. Hoping it gets here before camp!
Paul also pointed out this great series of gravel races that aren’t TOO far from us. We’re adding a couple of these to the schedule, as well as The Hairy 100 (I think). It’s been tough to nail down any races we want to do for sure since we don’t trust the weather to be anything, but crummy.
5. Visit 5 new states.
1. Oregon – CHECK
2. Utah – July
I was PUMPED that we planned a trip to Dallas for my birthday, then I realized that my goal is STATES, not just cities and I’ve been to Texas. If this comes down to the wire, I may or may not count it
I’m most excited for The Sixth Floor Museum, which I’ve wanted to visit every since reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. The museum chronicles the life and legacy of JFK. It is located at the very spot from which Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy.
Well, okay. I’m mainly counting down the days for this:
Scallop and dragonfruit pico tacos.. and other creations at The Velvet Taco. I’ve been drooling over Yelp for a few days now brainstorming where to go. I have some time though.. my birthday isn’t until July.
6. 300 days of no eating out. We did awesome in February. The only 2 days we ate out were Valentine’s Day (Taco Bell… worth. it.) and then a random Wednesday when a co-worker was leaving and I had a going away lunch and happy hour. We also then ordered in Chinese food since the day was ‘ruined’ anyway
This month is going to be a bit tougher. We have tickets to the Big 12 Basketball Tournament which is a series of 5 sessions and 10 games over 4 days. 10 games of basketball? WITH NO NACHOS? I’m not sure it is possible. We might have to get creative. We also have our Dirty Kanza Training Camp at the end of the month. Now, some of our meals are included in that camp, so we aren’t going to count those as ‘eating out’. We also don’t count free continental breakfast at hotels eating out.. so depending, we might be able to swing it. We will also be riding 200 miles in 3 days.. SO eating out might be a needed reward at that point too.
However, as long as we stick to 4 days or less of eating out this month, we will be back on track for 300 days!! We are just hoping to bank some days this month to make up for our travel plans in April.
7. Choose Adventure. My favorite goal!, but I’m kinda straining myself to think of what we did this month to reach this. We did book the trip to Dallas which is fun (so we chose a future adventure, does that count?)! And bought some concert tickets for June… ah. I also did step out of my comfort zone to try BodyPump and Cycle at my gym.. and I really liked both!
Okay, this month was clearly a bit more low-key, but balance was heartily needed. Now onto March! We have a busy month ahead of us!
8. Read 52 books this year. Eek. No progress this month. I was also temporarily banned from the library because a book we returned was stolen out of the book drop. When you owe over $10, they ban your access (good to know). Good thing I dragged my feet on figuring out how to solve this one, because whoever stole it finally returned it (6 weeks later). Karma will find you, you book thief!!
How are your goals coming along this year?
I realize that picture isn’t all THAT appetizing since it was prior to the DIY salsa and toppings station.. but that just means you might not go and then there are more tacos for me in the world.